Wednesday, January 12, 2011

neutral vs. colour... which do you prefer?

Hi everyone, sorry for the loooong delays between posts. Its been a very busy time with Christmas, the new year, school work, and now of course today in Brisbane the devastating floods we're experiencing! (ok so they haven't really started to affected us yet, but hey, they might very soon!)

I was talking to a friend the other day about neutral vs. colourful interiors, and which we preferred. While my friend was undecided (confessing that she loves both) I came to the conclusion a while ago that while I love working with and decorating in colour, I can't (or rather prefer) not to live with too much colour. I prefer a subtle splash or pop of colour here and there only.  While its true that I just simply cant afford to keep redecorating when my colour preference changes, I have found that I don't ever seem to get over my love of black, white, silver and neutral tones. I also find that a neutral palette is very calming for me. I can relax in this environment a lot more, whereas a colourful environment seems to energise me and make me more alert - which is exactly what I don't want to do when i'm veging out laying on my couch reading a book :-)

Which do you prefer and why? Here's a few different pics to help you decide..

Neutrals:























Colours:





















(if you're a regular follower of my blog you'll prob start to be able to recognise my favourite style of design by now :-)




(pics from elle decor, decorpad, kelly wearstler and various other blog sites)

3 comments:

  1. very good blog, congratulations
    regard from Reus Catalonia
    thank you

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Te La Ma Maria-Reus! Thank you for following!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay! You're back! In this post, I love the neutrals much more. I love colour, but the colourful rooms in these photos are actually a bit too bold for my taste! I've also realized I prefer more subtle hues, or pops of colour on a neutral background to balance it out. I also love a touch of glamour so a touch of silver, a chandelier or gorgeous upholstered chairs always make me love a room :)

    ReplyDelete