Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Injecting my own stamp

I dont know about you, but for me deciding on a style I love more than another style (and committing to it) is hard work! And it seems that just when I decide and make steps towards that direction, I change my mind and go a completely different way!  I often then find myself shuffling pillows and decorative pieces to other rooms as a way to slowly wean them out of view and eventually out the door :-)

While this is half the fun of decorating, I find that I don't ever really seem to be happy with what I create along the way. All I seem to do is creating a half-finished space, leaving me feeling frustrated and annoyed because its "not quite there yet" but will be after I get this or that.  Sound familiar?

What's funny though, is that I have recently come to the realisation, that more often than not, I find that the spaces I love don't necessarily follow the latest trends (as in have the latest couch with the latest pattern cushions, new rug which works perfectly with the new feature chairs and coordinates in with the perfect dining setting etc - all of which can be purchased from the one shop), but instead I love the spaces that have elements of latest trends mixed with their individual flavour. I find that the spaces that are the most inviting and the most interesting are generally those that feature non-generic pieces and objects that are individual to the people who use the space.

I need to do is to stop trying to recreate spaces that aren't me and stop trying to stay up with or even in from of the trend (because honestly I don't think its possible to, unless you have a money tree) and work on surrounding myself with pieces that I love, that are individual to me and my family and mix these in with the trend items that I do fall in love with to create a space that is uniquely mine.

A simple way I started this week to do this was to purchase some frames and display pictures of the people that I love in them. I've procrastinated doing this for so long, because my frame choice always changes :-)

Here are a few images of the types of pieces that i'm talking about that make a space a unique, these aren't always pieces that you find in the local freedom or oz design store, but instead can be handed down from a family member, purchased at a garage sale, antique shop, online,  or mixed with items from decorating boutiques.






























What are your thoughts?

(PS that last pic isn't me - Im sorry I cant for life of me remember where it is from - opps)


Chelsea xo


5 comments:

  1. So .. how'd the triathlon go .. I was hoping to hear about how fun it was, how tiring - but you're hooked and doing it again???

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Linda. I'll post a pic tomorrow. It was awesome! Surprisingly addictive actually. Im just bummed there isn't another one till later in the year :-(

    ReplyDelete
  3. Chelsea, I can totally relate to this:

    "While this is half the fun of decorating, I find that I don't ever really seem to be happy with what I create along the way. All I seem to do is creating a half-finished space, leaving me feeling frustrated and annoyed because its "not quite there yet" but will be after I get this or that."

    That's how I feel about decorating, too. It's fun to decorate but with limited funds and a tight budget, most of the time, I have to tweak a design and it always turned out way, way off than what I have in mind.

    So, when I decorate a space, I don't decorate with a specific design plan in mind, instead I have a rough floor plan layout in mind and find objects I like when they have sales/ clearance and decorate around that.

    Unless you have the money and resources, it's not in my budget to have the perfect upholstered oversized headboard with all the fancy nailheads, trim and tufted button in a designer fabric (available to the trade only), no designer fabric custom curtain panels either with the perfect length (not the usual 84", 94" and 108") because every home have different ceiling heights, no custom upholstered satin velvet sofa, no expensive fancy grasscloth wallpaper attached with pricey labor fees, either, I think you get my drift. :)

    So, I just go with what I love in a budget I am comfortable with, a lot of compromising with my husband (he dislike quirky arts and objects and I love them and he's very, very opinionated about certain things, no white curtains, no fabric sofa, etc) for practical reasons.

    I intend to post the picture of my home on my blog once everything was done, but now each space was half finished and some items were still in boxes. (We just relocated and bought a house last year, less than a year ago) So, keep this in mind, I will definitely post pictures when I am comfortable with how things look.

    I like this post and I agree with everything you mentioned! By the way, I would love to see pictures of your home, too. Any pictures to share? :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for your comments Jessie. I always feel frustrated with what I have, and as a result never really feel like posting pics of my house - though I should. :-) Ill do a post on it soon and show some of my "half" finished rooms :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. great blog ! ;)

    Love the post !

    love,catarina
    santiroyalhome.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete